Tuesday, March 15, 2005

No

Lovely morning this morning. I was at work and trying to get Ruth and Gary ready for the bus to work that comes at 8:30. Ruth had breakfast by herself and then after I got Gary ready, i found her at 8:15 (15 mins before bus time) sitting in the living room watching tv and looking at a magazine still in her pjs. So I asked her to get dressed before the bus came. She said "no, don't want to." So I asked her again, then explained that she needed to hurry or she would miss the bus. "no, don't want to" Right okay, then I told her that if she didn't get dressed, she couldn't go to Ravara (day center) and she would have to stay in the house by herself because I was going home and Gary was going to Ravara. "no, don't want to." Nothing I said seemed to convince her until i asked what trainers she wanted to wear, and told her to go pick some out. Once she was in her room she forgot that she didn't want to get dressed and was no problem. But I was soooooo annoyed. By the way, she was dressed by 8:35 and thankfully the bus was late so it was okay. So, any ideas on how to get someone out of the habit of saying no? Particularly someone who doesn't even understand the word no? And when given an ultimatum, says no to both?

1 Comments:

At 3/20/2005 12:16 PM, Blogger Donni said...

I think you do exactly what you did with the shoes. You give a choice between A & B (rather than tell her something which implicitly gives her a choice between yes and no) So you say "do you want to wear your blue sweater or green sweater? Or you say make it into a game "I'm going to go ___, I bet you can't be dressed by the time I get back.. so she can resist you by doing what you want instead of saying no to you. Good job on "what trainers do you want to wear?" - those are shoes, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home